A Progress Billing is a detailed request for payment that is sent to your customer. The billing will include the cover page that summarizes the payment information and a detailed page (or pages) that breakdown what is being billed for on the Schedule of Values (SOV)
To create a progress billing that will be used to invoice a customer.
- Only users with permissions to add/edit Billings will have access.
- The Contract information must be set up prior to creating a billing.
- The SOV must be set up prior to creating a billing.
Where is the Billing module?
The Billing module is located under the Financials menu header at the project level.
An application for payment cannot be processed if the schedule of values (sov) has not been created. If a schedule of values (sov) has already been created, then select the 'Add Billing' button.
Billing Template Overview:
- Invoice # - Is a manual entry field; the first invoice will require the user to define the numbering system, all billings after that will have an alert as to what the previous invoice number was. The user still must enter in the value.
- Application Date/Period To: - Allows the user to define the dates which the invoice will cover (i.e. 1st to the end of the month). Whatever date is defined in the first invoice will be repeated after that, but the user can over ride the date fields.
- Retainage % - Is typically defined by the Contract module, but the user can modify this on any invoice.
- Project Manager - Is a drop down menu of just the employees
- Distribution To - Allows the user to select as many as they want
There are 3 columns which a user can enter in dollar values:
- Work completed This Period (E) - Allows a user to populate dollar values for work completed during the invoice period.
- Materials Presently Stored (F) - Allows a user to populate a dollar value for materials that are stored on site but not currently installed at the time of invoicing. This amount will automatically move to the Work Completed Previously column on the next billing.
- % (G) - Allows a user to enter in a percentage for work completed, the dollar amount will appear in column E
When completed click the Save button. This will bring the user to the Billing Log screen.
The invoice will remain in a draft state until the user creates the next progress billing. Only the most recent AFP will be in a draft state. To the right of the application for payment, there is a gear icon (Action icon). The action icon contains additional functionality:
- View Billing - At any point in time the user is able to view the application for payment, no matter how old it is.
- View Certificates - Is the actual American Institute of Architects (AIA) form. This can be view or printed at any point in time.
- Edit Billing - Allows the user to make modification to the invoice as long as it is the most recent AFP. Otherwise the system will not allow the user to select this function.
- Delete Billing - Allows the user the ability to remove the application for payment if needed, the afp must be the most recent invoice otherwise the system will not allow the user to delete the afp.
American Institute of Architects (AIA) form
The documents produced by The American Institute of Architects (AIA) are the most widely used standard form contracts in the construction industry. They facilitate communications among all the parties involved in construction, which makes it easier to produce a high quality project in a timely and economical fashion. From the Action icon; if the user selects View Certificates, the AIA document opens in a new window.
The application for payment document is a pdf file, so the user can save the application, print the afp, or even email it.